Thursday, July 22, 2010

Craft File: Striped Dishtowels

This was a great quick project to get me back into sewing. I was only going to make one towel, but it seemed silly to not have a set, so I made two!


If you would like to make them, all you have to do is take two different kinds of ribbon, pin them to a tea towel however you want them (I chose stripes, you could do something more wild if you like) and sew the edges of the ribbon down using your sewing machine.


I then hemmed the two sides that contained the ribbon ends, so there wouldn't be any raw edgs, and voila! Not sure if I'm going to keep them or give them away...hmm.


Supplies: Tea towels, ribbon, sewing machine, thread

Tips/Tricks: pin the ribbon first if you want a streamlined look. If you want to make it a little more wild, don't pin the ribbon and do free motion sewing over the ribbon. It's important to sew down both edges of the ribbon so it doesn't curl when washed.

Enjoy!
Rachel May