Sunday, February 22, 2009

Life List Item No.1

I've been working on my life list. A list of things that I want to accomplish, things I like that I don't make enough time for, things that I want to learn, etc. I got the idea for doing a life list from the book "Dream It. List It. Do It." by http://www.43things.com/ . I need to work on the list more, but I need to start making progress on the items I have, so that they are accomplished. Your list should be anywhere from 20-43 items long, that way you have enough items to keep accomplishing, but enough to keep dreaming about as well. You should be constantly updating your list also. I will reveal my list when I feel it is ready. But for now, the first thing on my list:
Item No.1: 1,000 paper cranes. (pictured is my first one, made today) I want to make 1,000 paper cranes by 2010. That is my goal. Here is the first one, I made it today(only 999 to go!). I'm doing this for a number of reasons. In elementary school, we read the book "One Thousand Paper Cranes: The Story of Sadako and the Children's Peace Statue." It had a huge impact on me when I was little, but I've always wanted to try this huge feat.

According to Wikipedia: Thousand Origami Cranes is a group of one thousand origami paper cranes held together by strings.
An ancient Japanese legend promises that anyone who folds a thousand origami cranes will be granted a wish by a crane, such as long life or recovery from illness or injury.

If that is so, why not try it? I consider this an opportunity to attempt a tough challenge and try to succeed, when the only thing that is stopping me is motivation, a strength I have not had during these awful economic times. I also find it an opportunity to become more diverse, learn about other cultures, and evolve. Each crane allows me to think about what I do on Etsy, playing with paper, focusing on simple things like the folds, and using my hands to create. I have an idea for what to do with these once they are all done, but that's a surprise. I will share that in 2010, if I have reached my goal.

What's on your life list? I'm adding things like world travel, breakdancing, speaking fluent Spanish, taking business classes, doing yoga, etc.
After three posts, that's it for today....lots to do!
Rachel May