Friday, January 23, 2009

Buddy and Me


I can't believe that I haven't blogged this yet. One reason why this week has been so rough for me is that my dog got put down. He doesn't live with me, he lived with my Dad, but it was so sad to hear.


My dog's name was Buddy and he was a beagle. He was also really overweight and he liked to sit on the couch and lounge all day. The lounging thing is totally my favorite kind of dog characteristic :) He was always a friend-trying to get your attention by sitting on your foot. He was a sweet boy.


The vet said on Monday that Buddy had a growth that they thought was cancerous. We knew something was wrong with him because sometimes he would tense up and yelp. My Dad told me that he was afraid to take him into the vet because he thought he knew that the outcome was going to be bad.


He was right. I was just home for Christmas, so I got to see Buddy, and I was worried about the same stuff. But even though I didn't want to lose Buddy, I didn't want to be one of those people that keeps their suffering animals around because they can't deal with the pain of losing them. I just didn't want Buddy to have to suffer.


I took the picture of Buddy on Christmas Eve. I think it captures just how much of a jolly, happy dog he was. I'm glad that he found us, and I hope he's better now, wherever he may be.


Rachel May