Monday, October 4, 2010

Whole Living: Wabi Sabi Your Life

I was hanging out with my sister yesterday and she mentioned an article that she thought I'd like. It's titled "Wabi Sabi Your Life" and it's in this month's issue of Whole Living (pg. 103). I read it tonight and really felt the message, it's exactly how I want to be and what I strive for now. Here's the basic idea:

"Wabi sabi is the beauty of things imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete, the antithesis of our classical Western notion of beauty as something perfect, enduring, and monumental."

My very own Wabi Sabi: handspun yarn. The first thing I'm embracing as imperfect yet absolutely beautiful.

Wabi sabi celebrates imperfection and flaws and embraces that. I really feel like this is something that everyone can take into their own lives. We worry so much about the laundry not being done, our home not being "perfect" when we show it off to others, or our bodies never being skinny enough.

On the contrary, it doesn't mean letting everything go, living like a hoarder and never bathing. You still need to have some sense of control and order in your life, but it's about embracing those things/people/ideas that you cherish, and giving them recognition and value.

I would highly recommend picking up this issue and checking out the article, SO inspiring!

Enjoy!
Rachel May