Monday, March 29, 2010

A Note About Goals

I thought I needed to clarify something, to give myself a little bit of credit regarding these goals I've been setting. Although I didn't complete February's goals like I wanted, and didn't even write goals for March, I have been doing some things differently in my life-small feats that I'm very proud of:

1. A few months ago I went to the dentist-this was not fun. But since then, I've been flossing every day. I had my mind set to create a habit, and I stuck to it. For that, I am proud (and so is my dentist!).

2. Savings. One big New Years Resolution was to have enough money in savings to do a Eurotrip sometime next year with my sister. I've always said "I really want to travel," but I'd rather say "ooh..I've been there! It was amazing!" So next year, things will change. I have a goal to reach 5k by the end of the year, and I am well on my way.

3. Working Out. I've always done the cliche New Years resolution of saying "Work out 5x a week, " or "lose ten pounds," but they never stuck. So instead, I decided to get a gym membership (step one). I enlisted the help of my superfit roommate to be my workout buddy (step two). And I went to the gym (the most difficult and crucial step). I've gone to the gym pretty much every other day for the last month, and I can feel it. I'm not setting a goal to workout 5x a week, because when I set goals like that, life happens, I miss an extra day, and I get discouraged. So right now, I'm just trying to go as much as I can.

The main point I want to get across in this post is to celebrate small successes. I think it's really important to give yourself credit. It's also important to admit defeat, to learn from your mistakes, and to grow. I'm trying to do just that.

What are some small successes you've accomplished? Any goals for this year?

Rachel May