Thursday, January 15, 2009

Unemployed

Right now is a weird transition in my life. I graduated college a month ago, and with that-lost both of my jobs. I had a job as a peer mentor at the school I went to, but that only really works if you still attend the school. My other job was an internship and was unpaid, so it's not like I lost income-but it was good experience and I really liked the people, so it's sort of a bummer.

I got a contract job doing some interior design-related work right before I graduated, and I just finished it today. Now the future seems very open, and somewhat intimidating...I'm not sure if I'm ready.

I applied for a job yesterday, and will write an update once I know more. The job market is really tough right now, but I feel I'm a good candidate for the position.

Something else I wanted to talk about-just remembered. With all of this future-unknown stuff and worry about not being financially sound, I got to feeling a little helpless yesterday. I mean, what if I don't get a job soon and I'm totally broke and can't pay bills?

After those thoughts ran through my head, the boy and I went on a walk, which is always the best-we get time to talk, and I feel healthier about doing some sort of exercise:). We were almost home when a couple asked us for some help. The wife's car battery was dead, and they needed to hook up jumper cables, but the guy's vision didn't seem too good(lets not discuss the fact that he drove to meet her). After a long ordeal, we finally got the car started, and were on our way. The lady tried to pay us for our help, but of course-we declined.

Now, the reason I bring this up is that this lady was amazed that I knew how to pop the hood of her car. This is the second person that I have met that didn't even know how to pop the hood of their own vehicle, both people had very nice cars-this lady had a Cadillac. I got to thinking about helplessness. I may not be rich, I may not know what's going to happen, but I DO know how to pop the hood of my car AND jump the battery. I also know how to check the oil...which I'm assuming those people must not know. I'm feeling a little more prepared to take on the world now. I think I can figure stuff out.

Oh, and the lady may not have known how to do much with her car, but she sure was nice-I'm willing to overlook a lot of stuff as long as people are nice about it. She was honest and upfront about not knowing anything about her car, which was good. I hope she got home safe.
Rachel May